Carrot & Coriander Soup with Homemade Flatbreads
Quick and simple!
Involves the whole family
Suitable for Vegetarians
Do everything at once and it will all be ready at the same time…Rob promises!
Rob says “So easy and quick, even my 5 year old can make these flatbreads”.
- 200g plain flour
- 100ml warm water
- 2 tbsp oil
- Handful of fresh coriander
- 500g carrots, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- My kids do this bit – Put the flour in a large bowl and add the water bit by bit. Mix with one finger so they don’t get covered, well try it anyway! If they do just add a small amount of flour in their hands. The flour will dry their hands and save the standing over the sink trying to get it off with water!
- Add the oil and get your little helpers (if you have any!) to knead for 5 mins until the dough is soft, if still needed add a small amount of water.
- Shape the dough so you can cut into 4-6 pieces and leave for 30 mins.
This gives you time to make the soup, honest!
- Heat one tbsp of oil in a medium saucepan add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 mins.
- Add the ground coriander and chopped potato and cook for another minute.
- Drop in the chopped carrot and the litre of stock. Season and bring to the boil and simmer.
- After about 15 mins when the carrots softened, throw the coriander in and blend. I use a stick blender but if you have a food processor both are good. How much coriander you put in is entirely up to you…
- Turn the heat off and let the soup sit whilst you put a frying pan on (or griddle if you have one) and add a small amount of oil.
- Roll out the dough in turn on a flour dusted surface, how thin you make them determines how hungry you are.
- They need about 2 mins on each side, there should be enough and if you have a child handy get them to roll them out and pass them to you, you are not looking for a perfect shape!
- Serve the soup and flat breads together, and as we do add more coriander if you like!
Enjoy, easy and quick to do if you get all the ingredients ready to hand first and prepped.